Sunday, February 24, 2013

Things to Celebrate. . .

Today is National Tortilla Chip Day!!

Now that is a Holiday worth celebrating! 
And we did!

The construction of Nachos is a very intricate and personal thing.
But first, top-notch nacho ingredients are needed!
You have to get the bulk tortilla chips. You know, the 5 pound box that costs about $6.00 at your local bulk store. You must also get the canned nacho cheese from the same bulk store. Yeah, it is probably some form of liquid plastic, but it is very yummy!
Then you must get copious amounts of sour cream and salsa.
Okay, here I kind of went the easy route. I was originally going to make the salsa. I love homemade salsa. But I was lazy and bought some instead.
I was also going to do a barbacoa (mexican bbq) roast, but I opted for easier taco-seasoned ground beef instead.
I did draw the line at the refried beans though, and made my own. Those canned ones just don't cut it anymore.



It is interesting that all these people in my house have been living almost exclusively for all of, if not a good portion of their lives and still have such varied tastes in nachos.

Some like them plain.



Some are not too excited about them mixing and keep all parts separate.


Some have a specific stacking technique so the chips can be easily accessed when covered in toppings.


 Some (um. . . Shane) declare their nacho actual works of art.


No matter how you do or don't stack it, it is yummy.
Yea, not on any health food plan, but it is an official holiday so it is worth celebrating.

We had other celebrations this week as well!

McCade turned 13.

Now all my kids are teenagers. 
I am officially old.

McCade has very few foods he actually likes, so getting pizza that day was an easy decision.


And, again I was lazy and bought cupcakes instead of making him a real cake. 
I will admit to a love affair with cupcakes the last little while. I feel like it is cake with portion control.


The candles were still lit, and he blew them out so he was happy.


He asked for a clock that would also charge/play his iPod, a video game, an outdoor basketball and some cologne from Hollister. 

I think this birthday list is a good illustration of where he is in his life - somewhere between childhood and being a young man.
Growing up is a hard thing.

Friday night they boys had basketball again, but McCade didn't play.


He ended up running the board as he really hit his head hard on a shelf the day before. I am certain he has a concussion. He asked me if I was going to take him to the doctor, and I said no. He was surprised, but I know from experience that they do less for a concussion than they do for a broken nose. So I just brought him home and started putting essential oils on him.

Tacey & Shane were not there either because they were at their Daddy/Daughter Ballroom class.
Tacey is the oldest girl, I think the one closest in age is 11 years old.
I warned her this might happen, but she said she didn't care; she wanted to dance with her Dad. 
This makes me think that maybe, just maybe I have accomplished one of my goals in this world. She loves dance. She doesn't care when or what, she just wants to dance and share that with people she loves.

Dallin did play basketball though.


As is family tradition, he is a very good defender.


And all the running is helping him get in shape for track.


Fighting for the ball is getting him ready for football.


And when he shoots, it goes in more often than not.


I am sure this next week will bring all sorts of new adventures as well.

-danielle