Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Harvest Vacation!

Okay, now we know they tend march to their own drummer in Shelley, but this year we decided to take advantage of the age old tradition of Harvest Vacation. Harvest Vacation began as a way of giving the students time off school so they could help with the Potato Harvest (or whatever particular thing they were harvesting). Back then a good majority of the students worked in the Harvest, NOW they all hang out at home and annoy their mothers. On the up side, there are those who believe that Harvest Vacation is when the summer family vacation should take place. Usually the weather is still nice, and everyone else is still in school. I had never taken advantage of this before, but as this summer had been packed with Thesis and injuries I decided to Harvest Vacation in San Diego so the kids could have their other Grandparents at their Birthday Party.
We drove all day on Saturday; which takes much longer with three children and a dog. We rested on Sunday, and visited Great Grandma Pama and Big Grandpa on Monday. I would have pictures, but I forgot my camera. BUT, Pama does make a later appearance in this story so you will see her!
On Tuesday we visited Great Grandma Kitty. She has a cute Pomeranian named Muffy and fun elevator chairs for all three of her stairways. I promised her I wouldn't put her picture on the internet; I lied. She was afraid they wouldn't turn out very good because we kinda surprised her, but they are nice so I am going to post them!

The next day was a
VERY IMPORTANT DAY!!!!!!


TACEY TURNED 13 YEARS OLD!!!!


Officially a teenager.


We went to the Wild Animal Park and rented a locker to hold our cute sack lunch. She picked locker number 13 for her birthday!


We took lots of new fun new pictures; we (meaning Tacey, Dallin and McCade) hatched out of eggs.



Checked on the Meerkats; they are doing FANTASTIC!


Petted nice African and Asian animals!


One of them tried to escape! ( Not really, he/she was just enjoying the shade. It was really hot - over 100 degrees so any shade was good shade).


We posed in the log. . .


We posed with SpongeBob. . .


Now, I must comment; I do not understand why they have a SpongBob ride at the Wild Animal Park. It used to be a Dinosaur ride which made alot more sense. Wild Dinosaurs fit much better at the Wild Animal Park than an animated sponge. If anything SpongeBob should be at Sea World. *sigh. whatever *


Went to see the Lions

This Lion was stalking Dallin and McCade. Did I mention how much I love that the Zookeepers at the Wild Animal Park pay attention to safety? There was NO WAY that lion could have gotten to them and HE KNEW IT!

We took the tram ride into Africa and saw this REALLY tall Giraffe (18 feet!). He is on loan from Busch Gardens as part of a breeding program. So I guess you could say this is a great example of a SEXY Giraffe because he does his job well. All the female giraffes are now pregnant!

It was really hot, and we found some relief in this funny-functioning water fountain.











As I said, it was really hot so we played in the water toys strategically placed throughout the park. We hadn't found this one before. I figured at over 100 degrees the kids would dry fast so there was no harm in letting them get completely soaked.








We went to an 'Africa' show - there weren't many people there. Tacey was picked as the victim/volunteer!




We went to the Bird show - there weren't many people there either! Tacey was picked as the volunteer for this show too! Happy Birthday to her!!!!



At the end of the day we had soft serve Ice Cream - just tastes better at the Wild Animal Park and Zoo.


I have lots more to post, but I am tired and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I will add more when I am awake!

Danielle!