Wednesday, September 3, 2008

CABBAGE!

We seem to have an agriculture theme today at our house. It began last spring when Dallin brought home a baby cabbage plant in a cup. He was told if he grew the cabbage, and it was the biggest one from his school it would be placed in a drawing to win a $1,000.00 bond. Dallin is very motivated by money, and grew this wonderful cabbage.

It is really big, but hasn't totally filled in the cabbage part - it is basically leafy. I think this year was a bit too cold - as it snowed mid-June. Everything seems to be growing a little later this year. I didn't want to pull it out of the ground to weigh it, so I took measurements and then went to the grocery store for comaprison and made my best guess. We hope it will keep growing and make an awesome chicken cabbage salad or cabbage soup. We shall see. . .

Then the school district called and asked me to substitute for the Ag class at the High School. If you are not laughing hysterically, you should be. The only thing I know about agriculture is that I know nothing about it. I know the difference between a cow, a horse, a chicken and a pig. I know which end eats and which end doesn't, but I couldn't tell you what each of these animals eats. Yeah, and they want me to teach farm stuff to all these farm kids. Even if it is only for one day - it is still a very funny idea.

Anyway, enjoy the picture of Dallin and his amazing cabbage!

Danielle