Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weblos means WE'll BE LOyal Scouts. . .

Well, Dallin received his Weblos badge the other night, AND he has now officially earned enough belt loops that his belt no longer fits. He has 22 belt loops in all. McCade is following in his brother's footsteps and is not too far behind with 18 belt loops. I am very proud of my Cub Scouts.
Then, as is the season, we had Basketball games today. No baskets for us today, but both boys are becoming very good defenders. We just need to convince them the rule is that the ball actually has to go IN the hoop!
We also woke yesterday to a bunch of new snow. I know that I am usually against snow, but if it is going to be cold, icy and dangerous anyway - you might as well have something pretty to look at. These are the trees on our street. Aren't they pretty? I used to get so mad in San Diego when they would 'flock' Christmas trees so they were white all over. I thought the white should only fall from the top; certainly it would be more realistic, right? I now know that I was absolutely right!

Back to the events -

Dallin then had what they called the 'Weblos WOW'. It was basically an event that allowed credentialed BSA personnel to come in and help the boys with the requirements for their Weblos Pins. Some of them are fairly easy to do at home, or in a Den Meeting, but others are more difficult. This was an opportunity to do some of the more difficult ones. Dallin earned both his Readyman and Engineer Pins today, this is in addition to his Fitness, Citizen and Traveller Pins he earned previously. These are pictures from the Readyman class; basically First Aid for Cub Scouts. I wondered about the wisdom in having the boys TRY the Heimlich maneuver on each other, but as the guy was BSA certified, I figured we could trust him.
Apparently this is the international sign for choking. Several more of his pins are almost complete; as long as we can memorize all the BSA stuff that goes with it - we should have his Arrow of Light in just a few more months. I really hope his enthusiasm continues and he becomes an Eagle Scout.
Later in the day, when it began snowing again, I sent McCade outside to shovel the driveway. Now, Shane had shoveled earlier, and there wasn't much snow, but it was coming down so fast I wanted to stay ahead of it. After a few minutes I looked outside and saw him doing this:
I guess a big pile of snow is just too tempting for an 8-year-old boy.
However, the driveway WAS clear!
Danielle