Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Fair. . .and other exciting events

This Friday the kids were out of school, something about a teacher workday. Ahhhh, the advantages of NOT being certified! We also had Monday off for Labor Day, so I had been saying things to the kids at the school like "You know, it is Wednesday, but it is REALLY Tuesday, but it is REALLY Thursday!" The actual day was Wednesday, but it felt like Tuesday because it was only the second day of school for the week, but it also felt like Thursday since there was only one day of school left for the week! I either had tehm laughing or confused!

Anyway, Shane came back into town and took part of the day off and we took the kids to the Fair. It was nice and un-crowded! We found an 'Agri-carnival' as we walked in. It was SOOOOO funny! It had things like put the saddle on the pony, pick up the poop, but my favorite was watching them try to 'milk' a cow.
Tacey did 'ok' at cow milking.
McCade also did 'ok'.

In fact, Dallin also did 'ok'.

However, 'the EXPERT' did much better. But then he has had ALOT of practice with the business end of a cow. SO I guess it really wasn't a fair contest.

We did the 'walking around' thing, looking at the animals. My favorites are always the baby goats. I don't know WHY I like them so much; they (maening goats) viciously attacked me when I was stuck in a stroller as a little girl and ate my ribbon right off my ponytail! THEN I had to endure the day uneven with only one ribbon on one ponytail! But, they are still pretty cute. I liked this guy.

I also want a horse, but I don't want to clean up after it or get up at the crack of dawn to feed it or chip the ice off it's water trough. Therefore, I don't have a horse. I made a comment about that was were walking through the stables as a guy was cleaning them. I said (really loud of course) "THAT'S why I don't want a horse!". He was really laughing. At least I am based in reality! McCade, as always LOVED each and every animal. Although, the cows freak him out a little. He's worried he's going to get kicked. McCade and I ALWAYS go for the animals.

Now Shane and Dallin go for the food. We all know about the fat-infested goodies they have created the last few years like deep-fried twinkies and whatnot. This year I saw a sign for a new fair-food. Chocolate Covered Bacon.


Yeah, I like bacon. I love chocolate. I was NOT going to try that. Maybe there are some extenuating circumstances where I would, but they would have to be pretty extreme. Our 'fair food' for the day consisted of Corn Dogs, Hamburgers, Scones and Ice Cream. Yum!

One of McCade's favorite parts of the day was when we watched a dog show. They were 'flying' dogs. This simply means they were good at catching Frisbees. We were on the side and they ended up on a platform right next to McCade. In fact one got pushed off and pretty much jumped on top of him. Made for a good day for him, and a great photo-op for me!

We also got a screaming deal on some Shelf-reliance shelves. It totally shows my age, but I am SO excited about them. Now I can actually SEE what I have before I go grocery shopping!

So, McCade and I go for the animals, Dallin and Shane go for the food, but TACEY goes for the food, but mostly to 'buy stuff'. She bought pink tinsel for ther hair and fake eyelashes with pink rhinestones.


All-in-all a nice 'Fair' day!


Later that night we went to the Shelley home football game. I actually got Shane to go!!!!! He won't admit it, but he did root for Shelley, so his Firth roots are slowly disintegrating. And although I have a hard time rooting for a Potato, I can TOTALLy get into dressing for the games. Shelley colors are Red, Black & White, and Mt. Carmel colors are Red, Gold & Black, so I still feel like a Sundevil if I squint really hard and pretend the potato has a tail and a pitchfork. In the end they won. Which was good.



Too bad next week is a FIVE day school week. I don't get to sleep in! Saturday will be Spud Day, and the festivities will start in front of the house VERY early. This is beacuse we are the VERY BEGINING of the parade route. I also have to live through rehearsals for the Miss Russett Pageant and the pageant itself. So it should be a long week. I am really bummed it as at the same time as Dallin's game, but it will give Shane some time to bond with Dallin: football-wise.



Speaking of football, I had to buy Dallin some arm guards today. His forearms are full of bruises from football. Ahh, the cool war wounds of organized team sports!


This should be an eventful week, so we will see if I can remember to take pictures through it all!


Danielle