Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dallin is 14, or when did I get old. . . .

Dallin had a Birthday a little over a week ago.
I didn't blog about it back then because we were running around like crazy people!
He got an experience and a half for his birthday!
But I guess I should talk about the stuff leading up to it.. . 

He had one required Merit Badge left for his Eagle Scout Award: Swimming.
I took him in on Thursday to a local Aquatic Center to accomplish that.
In fact, both Dallin & McCade went as they are both Scouts and both needed it!
Anyway. . . 
He came out with tears in his eyes. He had failed to complete one of the requirements.
I talked him through it: it wasn't a really big deal. 
Except that it did keep him from completing the Merit Badge.

I had also scheduled both of them to return the next day (Dallin's Birthday) to complete their Life Saving Merit Badge. This one was going to require the same things as swimming, plus more and they would be harder. He was extremely tense and nervous in the morning: tears fell.
Can I tell you how bad I felt? 
Mean Mom, making her kid go do a hard thing on his Birthday.
When I picked them up this time, he was ALL SMILES.
He not only completed the Life Saving Merit Badge, but in the process completed the missing requirement the day before.

They both learned a valuable lesson that day. The first instructor was not encouraging, and almost seemed to take delight in their failure.
The second instructor was supportive and encouraged them. If they did not complete something first time through, he broke it into smaller chunks so they could accomplish it in pieces before tackling the whole thing.
I pointed out that they should remember that as they become men and are asked to teach others.

Anyway, then all the 'boys' got in the car and went to the BYU/Utah State Football game.
Football on Dallin's Birthday! Heck Yea!

It was a hard- hitting, low scoring game. 
He had a good time.

This guy is truly a special kid. He is so compassionate. One of his friends told us once "Dallin cries a lot. Some people might think that means he is a big baby, I know it means he has a big heart". He feels everything very deeply. He also keeps it inside, which is why i supposed God felt he needed a Mom like me who gets in his face and makes him talk! (Poor Kid!)

He walks through obstacles like they are not even there. I suppose that is because he has had to walk through them his whole life: he knows no difference. He is strong, he is smart. Seriously brilliant; it amazes me. I love him with a love unique to him. 



20 Things About Dallin:

1. Favorite Thing: Football
2. Least Favorite Thing: English
3. Favorite Time of Day: Sunset
4. Favorite Thing to Do: Football
5. Something You Are Proud Of: Earning my Eagle Scout Award
6. Something You Wish You Had: More Books
7. Someone You Miss: Josh
8. Favorite Subject in School: Science (G/T - which is Gifted & Talented)
9. Favorite Color: Blue
10. Favorite Food: Whatever is in my mouth at the time
11. How Do You Feel: Good, GOOD!
12: Something You Are Not: A Soccer Player
13. Where Do You Think You Will Be In 6 Years: On or About to come back from my Mission
14. Something You Are Scared of: Clowns
15. Someplace you go over and over again: My Room
16.Wanted Superpower: Telekinesis
17. Something You Would Change About Yourself: Drawing a Blank
18. First Thing You Think in the Morning: Ah, Seriously? Do I Have To Get Up?
19. Worst Habit: Biting My Nails
20. Ninjas, Pirates or Aliens: Pirates!!! Arrgggg!!!!

-danielle