Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spring Break 2011: First Installment

After the reunion we continued on the San Diego for Spring Break. I ended up driving the
ENTIRE
way! Well, sort of. Shane was in Anaheim, so the plan orginally was for me to drive to San Diego on Saturday, then drive back to Anaheim on Sunday to pick him up.
In the end, I drove to Anaheim, spent the night, then finished the drive to San Diego on Sunday. Shane paid for the hotel room, then called to tell me where it was. I asked him if they took pets; which they didn't.
The problem was we had Koda with us.
SO . . .
I stuffed him in my purse and sneaked him in. Tacey said it was pretty clear what was in my purse. I was just glad I didn't get caught and he didn't bark! We left the next morning and finshed the drive. (Shane drove that morning. So I guess technically I didn't drive the WHOLE way)

Okay, so we know that my weather-related driving skills are not the most fabulous. When we left Provo it was about 1:00. I was feeling really good, but I was very anxious to get on the road. Normally the drive would take about
9 hours.
 I tend to feel better at night, so I was confident we would be okay.
HOWEVER,
 it had snowed while we were in Provo. I was
concerned
 about the driving conditions. Things started out okay, then the icy rain came, then the temperature dropped and the big fat, nasty snowflakes fell. Then more of them fell. Then they fell faster and faster. I was trying to see the road as well as STAY on it; it was getting pretty icy. That lasted until St. George. Then there was the strong winds that tried to blow me off of the road from Mesquite to Cajon Pass. By the time we got to Cajon Pass, I had been seeing visiblity advisory warnings for several miles.
I couldn't figure out
WHY
 they were flashing. As I got to the top of Cajon Pass, I figured out why.
FOG.
 FOG.
 FOG.
 Pea-soup fog. Fog that makes everyone drive 25 miles an hour with their hazard lights on fog. Yeah, all the way down a
VERY STEEP,
 VERY WINDEY
 pass. As I got to the bottom of the pass, it was pretty clear (or unclear) the fog was here to stay. Then the RAIN came.
Not just rain, but "watch out for Noah and the Ark" type rain.
FOG AND RAIN.
So, yea.
EVERY type of bad weather except Hail.
No one died; the car was still in one piece.
GO ME!
Monday we decided to use our San DIego Zoological Society Memberships.
We love those things.
We spent Monday at the Zoo. The plan was to see giraffes, tigers, the new baby hippo, bugs and reptiles.

Of course there are things to see along the way. Like the Koalas.
And Shane, on the phone. *haha*
Dallin says "We have pictures of Dad on the phone every vacation!"
I said "How do you think we pay for vacation?"
Dallin says "Yea, I know."
Good kids.
We visited the Meercats.
The Giraffes.
And the baby Giraffe that was only 4 days old! He was super-cute.
Across from the baby giraffe were the Rhinos.
And there is the Kangaroos.
Check out this guy's
HUGE FEET
he also
uses that amazing tail as like a third foot.

I am not overly-fond of Flamingos. They smell
REALLY BAD.
But as I fancy myself a photographer, and this guy posed for me . . .
National Geographic here I come!

Can you find the animal in here?
The fishing Cat is in there.
He is not your average cat.
More like a Mountain Lion who lives by the river.
Can you see him?
Here he is!
(He also smelled REALLY BAD)
SUCCESS!
The tiger was out. Way up at the top of the enclosure, not close at all,
but still he was
VISIBLE!
Here's a Hippo. But it wasn't the Mommy and the Baby.
We missed the baby.
But this big guy was taking advantage of the bright sunny day.
And here we are taking our pictures in the same spots. . .
The Hippo!
And then a trip to Polar Bear Plunge.
They recently remodeled it. Now Dallin can look stuck in the ice with the Seal.
Mac (with those ears) chillin' (haha!) with the seal.
Tacey with a new boyfriend.
And posing on the silver surfer polar bears.
The polar bears were absent. I dunno where they were, but we missed them.
Ah, then a sky-tram ride across the park.
And a walk into the Children's Zoo to look at the bugs.
On the way there were more Meerkats.
These Meerkats were
REALLY
liking the sun.
They look like people on the beach, don't they?
After that we watched the Sea lion show.
I had to laugh. The people in front of us were using copious amounts of sunscreen.
Coating every inch of exposed skin.
I didn't bring sunscreen.
The kids and I were rolling up our sleeves,
turning our faces to the sun.
ANYTHING
to get
MORE
sun.
I don't think those people lived somewhere that gets snow.
Then we walked around the reptiles.
Like the Galapagos Turtles.
They are very large,
and very old.
I dunno if this is the one I rode on when I was little. But since none of them has died since I was 3,
chances are I saw the very one I rode at the Zoo this day.
We thought it might still be too cold for the lizards. But they were out
also enjoying the sun.
Guess I am a bit like a lizard.
Can't get enough sun.
Danielle