Sunday, April 3, 2011

Back in February. . . .

Back in February, (yes, I am still trying to catch up. . . )

Dallin received the rank of Star at a Court of Honor. I am seriously proud of his accomplishments. He is a hard working Scout, and fully anticipates having completed his Eagle by the time he is 14. All of my Grandpas would be so proud!


This is the 'Ah MAN! Mom has her camera. I know she is going to take a ton of pictures. I hate it when she does that. It is SSSOOO embarrassing' look. I get it a lot from my kids.


He is a really amazing young man. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. . .but that is a different post. Let's just say that as I think about his disabilities I wonder how much MORE he would accomplish if his ears and brain worked together better. I found him watching a movie with the subtitles on yesterday. He did that because it was hard for him to hear it all. . . and still, at the age of 12 he has straight A's, all advanced classes, plays numerous sports, is responsible in his home and church responsibilities, I could go on and on and on . . But as I said, that is a post for another day.

Tacey had set a goal to make a couple of quilts. I have a pattern that is easy, and forgiving, so I paid for the fabric (fabric=not cheap)and she began to work.
This project took a lot more time than she had anticipated.
In fact it was much more difficult on the family than anticipated.

She did work very hard. She spent the Super Bowl cutting the squares of fabric. Then she began working on a Thursday afternoon. She worked all afternoon Thursday, all afternoon and night on Friday, all day and night Saturday and then all Sunday afternoon.
Finally, it was DONE!

There was blood, sweat and tears.
(Not just hers. . . as her frustration had an effect on the entire family).

There was even a moment when she yelled at me and said;
"If you would have just done it FOR ME, like I TOLD you to, then I wouldn't be having this problem right now!"

Yep.

And she is still alive.

Go Figure.

And no, I didn't do it for her.

I refused. . .
this was HER goal and she needed to do the whole thing herself no matter how much it hurt the rest of us!

It made me think of my Heavenly Father . . . how often am I saying;
'Well, if you would just DO IT FOR ME I wouldn't have a problem!'.
I wonder if watching me mess up in my life is as painful for him as watching Tacey was for me.

The blanket was for her best friend. No your eyes don't deceive you. Her best friend is Nathan, a very tall young man who was going in for surgery the next day. He needed his whole foot/ankle reconstructed. A Basketball injury last year was much more serious than his parents EVER dreamed, and so his hard-fought-for position on the JV Basketball team turned into a series of games dressed in street clothes on the bench. It was sad, indeed.

He did love his blanket though!

His Mom sent pictures right after surgery with him using it.

And the our family lived through it!

Danielle