Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring Break 2011: Installment 3. A walk (or ride) on the WILD side. . .

Wednesday came, and I ran again. Ugh, I was starting to get really sore!
But oh, was the doggie happy. It is funny though, he runs in front of me for the first mile, next to me for the second, and I kind of have to drag him for the third!

We packed up Andrea and went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park.
Now they call it the San Diego SAFARI Park.
*Whatever*
As we have been there LOTS of times,
as we take the same pictures in the same places
this might get boring.
HOWEVER. . .
look at the difference in the kids in this. . .
And in this. What a difference a couple of years makes.
Yep. Meerkats again.
This time it as feeding time and the keeper had smeared banana in different spots.
They kinda acted like it was some new form of addictive substance.
This guy even scaled the rock to get the banana.
Maybe I should give bananas another look!
The a hike out to the baby Elephant. He is several months old. Not nearly as new as the baby girafee, or the baby hippo (that we didn't get to see),
but seriously cute as well.

I think he likes it there. Can't you see he is smiling?
He plays well too.
*Can I mention how much I was enjoying the weather? It was 92 degrees.
HEAVEN!*
Though some might think it is the place in the other direction. . .
but after months of sub-zero temperatures it was
SO NICE to be
WARM!
Lion camp was closed for a remodel. Tacey couldn't get near her boyfriend to give him another kiss. Guess long distance kissing will have to do.
Wonder if she would consider that in real life too. . .
Then the tram ride and the
BABY RHINO
Lots of babies.
And the endangered, almost extinct white rhino.
Look now, I don't know how many more times I will get a picture of her.
See the animals against the wall?
In the shade?
Nature isn't stupid.
Also the deer near the tree have a white circle on their rump. That is so as they migrate they can follow each other through the folliage. Makes it easier for them to follow each other.
I am not sure I would want to go through life with a big target on my rear.
They don't seem to mind though.
I guess it is in fashion for them.
The giraffes were having lunch.
And we finally found the Mountain Goats!
Can you?
Can you now?
How about now?
Tricky little suckers!
*This exhibit started with lots of foliage. Within a week they had it looking like this.
They 're-greenified' it. Within a week, again, it looked like this. These animals know how they want their enclosure decorated!*
*The epic tail of the mongoose and the snake*
(Actually the tale of the lizard on  the trail who was attacking an earthworm)

Actually there isn't much difference between the two.
It was pretty exciting for the kids to watch the lizard attack and eat the worm.
Well, it was cool for us adults too.
Yeah, at the premiere park for Wild Animals from all over the world, and we get excited about a Lizard.
Oh well . . .

Then we hiked up to see the TIGERS.
They are not usually out, but since they had the Lions away, I was hopeful.
And
We were
SUCCESSFUL!
Baby tiger.
There were three.
Tired mommy tiger.
Can you blame her?

Mommy and one of the babies.

When we got back to the car, the thermostat said it was a
LOVELY
94 degrees.
It was an amazing day.

I understand they had 4 inches of snow in Shelley.

Danielle