Sunday, May 22, 2011

Service

School is almost over, and we have been working to finish up the 'lasts'. Last tests, last assignments, last concerts; all sorts of lasts.

In fact, there really wasn't a whole lot to document this week. However, I did take pictures to help out a friend. And then I got to thinking about service.

Anyone who reads my blog knows we spend a lot of time involved with the boy scout program. Every time I help one of my sons, or one of our friends, I think about my Grandpas; who were avid scouters. I know they just look down and smile. There are some amazing skills young men develop when working in the scout program. They not only learn skills that help them become skilled young men at things like camping; but they learn life skills. Goal setting, leadership, integrity, honesty, being dependable, and service are only some the things I see as a result of this program.

Our friend Tate has been working on his Eagle Project. I have become known for 'scolarly writing' skills, so I helped him one night write up his project. Then we, as a family helped him pass out flyers for a food drive; which was his eagle project.

And finally we all helped pick up and organize the food one Saturday morning.

This is Tate. He looks like he is in charge, doesn't he? Leadership.
 This is Tate with his self-appointed right-hand-man:Chris.
 And the group ready to go run door-to-door.
 Dallin ran his legs; but not off.
 We broke up into several groups and everyone took a few streets for food collection.
 Then we all gathered back at the church and organized and boxed the food and other items the local food pantry said they needed.
 We emptied the bags that were picked up from the individual houses.
 There were lots of bags.
 Every label had to be read.
 Every can has to be placed in it's proper place.
 Did you know that a vegetable can be hard to define?
IS an OLIVE a vegetable?
 There was a snafoo with the packing tape to hold the boxes (the very heavy boxes) together.
Scotch either has decreased the amount of stick on their tape, or we got a bad lot, because the tape was not even remotely sticky. We had to make an emergency run for actually sticky tape.
 Through it all, Tate was the fearless leader.
 And the people were generous.


 It took a lot of hands to do all this work. None of them were going to benefit from this; all this work and effort was for others. SERVICE.
 The morning ended with doughnuts provided by our fearless leader. This is Gabe. The doughnut is as big as his head.
Service.
Now the local food pantry will be able to provide food for local residents. Did you know that 11.6% of the households in our community are food insecure? That means when they finish one meal they have no means with which to get the next one.
Can you imagine, looking at your hungry child and telling them there is NOTHING you can do for them?
I cannot think of anything worse than that.
Hunger.
Food insecure people are not only physically hungry, they are spiritually hungry. They must be so sad, frustrated, depressed, scared. . .
I cannot begin to imagine it.
Glad I don't have to.
Glad I could help others.
I don't want anyone to feel that way.
I am even more grateful we have to opportunity to teach our kids to help others.
That's the way it should be.

Danielle