Sunday, May 4, 2008

MORE CHICKEN!

Hmmm, Thursday I let the dog out when I got home from school. I called him in awhile later, but he suddenly put his nose to the ground and tried to dig under the freezer. I left him to chase whatever it was, and went inside. It isn't uncommon for things to try to live under the outside freezer; mice, kittens, etc. In fact, we have had several batches of kittens take up residence in our garage. BUT, as I have a dog that was bred for rodent hunting, he serves a dual-purpose; cat chaser and mouse hunter. After awhile I went out to see what was so interesting and through a strange ripple effect of events, a board fell behind the freezer, breaking eggs and making a BIG chicken move. MORE CHICKEN! The dog finally managed to get behind the freezer and was sitting on the chicken's back-end, trying to pull it out by it's neck. He didn't manage to do anything but get a mouthful of feathers and freak out the chicken, but I was afraid that he might kill it. The last thing I needed was a dead chicken in the garage! I managed to get the dog locked outside and the chicken trapped in the garage. I waited for the boys to come home, but when we went to chase it out of the garage, we couldn't find it! We let the dog back in the garage and then I SAW THE CHICKEN. It was 4 inches from Dallin's head standing on a stool. (I am obviously not a country girl, because it NEVER occured to me that the chicken might jump up on something; duh!) The chicken finally moved, and hit Dallin in the face with it's wing. (IT IS A VERY BIG CHICKEN!!! Like up to my knees! I know I am not that tall, but that is still really big!) The not-so-intelligent thing ran around the garage, even to the door, but didn't escape when it had the chance. We grabbed the dog; a much easier grab, and put him in the house then opened all the doors, and finally managed to chase the chicken out.
Koda, the Great Chicken Hunter
Today when I got home from church, my neighbor called and said about 45 minutes before I got home she watched 2 chickens jump the fence and strut into the garage like they owned it. I think my garage is turning into a chicken sorority! Shane says he's going to sit out and catch them and kill them. I am still considering making them a house so we can have the eggs; food is so expensive that volunteer chickens might not be a bad thing!
I guess our neighbor 2 houses away was around when Tacey went all-girly about the chicken on Monday. She was VERY loud; I guess she got my lungs. My other neighbor across the street asked about my chicken dog when he came over to help drag the trash can to the curb. (Shane was out of town, and I can't do it on crutches; I forgot to make the kids do it.) By the time we got to church we had several people asking about our chicken-dog; small town, stories travel fast.
Today is also the 1 month anniversary of my injury. I have a deep seeded fear that I have forgotten how to walk.....
Danielle