Sunday, October 18, 2009

It was a crazy week

It was a crazy week, and I some how didn't manage to get pictures of all the stuff that happened. Monday was essentially normal; Tacey had another open Gym in preparation for Basketball tryouts. Dallin had football practice to prepare for the Semi-Final game the next night. And McCade, well. . . he finally figured out he was caught in the WHOPPER of a lie he'd been telling me for the last 2 weeks. Lets just say that is a good thing I communicate well with the kids' teachers, and that now "McCade and the Deltora Book" will be as epic a tale as "Jilana and the Clean Clothes". In a nutshell, McCade had been lying to me about reading a book over Harvest Break. Now, I am NOT dumb, and I knew he hadn't cracked the thing all week. He needed to take the test on the book to pass it off for the Accelerated Reader program at school, so I informed his teacher of his deception. He tried to get out of the test (Flunking it would have serious repercussions possibly eliminating him from a party at the end of the quarter). Eventually, he confessed to his teacher who recommended he confess to me as well. That afternoon he STILL continued to lie to me until I found it JUST SO FUNNY I laughed in his face as asked him if he wanted to reconsider his tall tales. He did confess at that point; I guess better late than never. We had a family council; McCade, Shane and I, and he will be feeling the punishment of this for several weeks.

Tuesday Tacey had open gym again, and Dallin had his game. It was intense. They played hard, they had a fumbleitis, and they sent an opposing player to the hospital.


At least they know how to hit! In the end, they lost the game in the last minute 20-24. They were a very sad bunch of 5th grade boys. Dallin did cry quite a bit; especially when he took his pads off for the last time. I think we finally found something (other than Legos and Video Games). I found out that the Idaho State University Football Coach and Team were holding a free football clinic on Thursday night. When asked if he wanted to go, he jumped on the chance to play some more and invited a couple of buddies to go with him.

Wednesday Tacey began tryouts for Basketball, and I found the 5th grade boys much easier to teach - they were VERY mellow. McCade was working on part of his punishment - cleaning the kitchen. When he was emptying the dishwasher he didn't take the time to put the dishes away in their proper places and had a Pyrex Measuring cup fall out of the cupboard and land on the bridge of his nose. I think he may have broken it, but it was straight and he could breathe, so we didn't take him to the hospital. He has walked around all week with a big 'ol bruised nose. I told him that his Great-Grandma would say that was just Heavenly Father's way of punishing him for lying to me. I mean, seriously, it was his fault: if he hadn't lied, I wouldn't have made him do the dishes, and he wouldn't have had the measuring cup fall on his face. Gotta love the cause and effect!

Thursday was a bit of a juggling act, as we had to get Dallin and his friends to football camp in Pocatello while picking up Tacey from the last day of Basketball Tryouts. Normally I could have had anyone pick her up, but as THIS was the day she found out whether or not she made the team, it was VERY important that there was either a Mom or Dad there for her.

Shane took Dallin and 2 of his friends and I waited, stressed out, for Tacey. She went in to meet with the coach, and came out jumping - so it was obviously good news. Dallin had a GREAT time at Football Camp. All-in-all a good day for everyone (except McCade who was stuck in a chair reading the book he'd lied about reading and doing chores). I found out later that McCade had wanted to go to Football Camp as well, but when we are being punished we can't do fun things!

On Friday Tacey had her first practice and was VERY sore. The boys made desserts for a church activity, and then Tacey spent the night vomiting all over. McCade woke up complaining about the same symptoms. Dallin was fine and he was a GREAT helper for both parents all day as we tackled both the inside and outside of the house. Dallin also managed to finish the last thing on his Arrow of Light. I can now recite (as can he)

A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.

WOOT!WOOT!

Danielle